The Year 7 Adviser is Mr Sohal from Mathematics faculty.
My role as year adviser
Hello! As Year 7 adviser this year, I'm looking forward to working with students and their families as they make the transition from primary school to high school. There are lots of opportunities for Year 7 students to connect with the Chifley College Mount Druitt Campus community, listen out at school assemblies, check out the school's calendar on this website and join the school's Facebook page to receive more information about these events.
To provide guidance for and promote the welfare of students
- To provide the initial point of contact for students in Year 7.
- To organise and facilitate year meetings to keep students informed.
- To support individual students through difficult times.
- To assist teachers in understanding the practical needs of individual students within the year group.
- To monitor trends in individual students relating to academic progress, classroom behaviour, attendance, social behaviour, adjustment and to refer, where necessary to counsellor, Principal, Deputy Principal, Head Teacher Welfare.
- To initiate, develop and enhance programs that develop and promote group cohesion and identification which encourage and support students for example, peer mentoring, formal assemblies and College discos.
As the interface between home and school
- To provide the initial point of contact for parents.
- To liaise between parents and the school.
- To organise formal assemblies to celebrate student success.
As a member of the school welfare team
- To update staff with information on students with special needs.
- To participate in the development and implementation of school policy relating to student welfare.
- To attend welfare committee meetings.
- To liaise with the School Counsellor and be proactive in referring students of concern.
As an administrator
- To maintain student records.
- Monitor whole day absences and intervene where necessary.
- To produce progress reports using school-based software.
- To assist with new enrolment procedures.
- To coordinate the presentation of reports to parents.
- To regularly survey students and monitor interests/concerns.
I invite parents and carers to contact me with any questions, concerns or suggestions.